Early Careers Support
What we do
We primarily act as a resource by publishing a specially-curated digital noticeboard (see below). The noticeboard comprises work opportunities, support and signposting for those in the early stages of a freelance career in dance, whatever form that may take. We are also investigating how the infrastructure around the entry into and establishment of a career in dance can be improved and consolidated.
New to the industry?
Firstly, a big fat hello and welcome!
This is a quick checklist of things you might need to consider looking into as you settle in:
- HMRC: Set up as self-employed | Self Assessment tax returns
- Sources of funding (not an exhaustive list): Arts Council England | Fenton Arts Trust | Grantsonline | Jerwood Arts | Paul Hamlyn Foundation | British Council | LUTSF | The Leche Trust | ArtCry | Tudor Trust | Local authorities | Bloomberg Philanthropies
- Membership of professional bodies
- Health Insurance
- Public Liability Insurance
- Safeguarding & Child Protection Training
Whether you are looking to make a step-change in your career trajectory or for some guidance, here are some organisations and resources which could be of help:
- Siobhan Davies Dance: Free Artist Surgeries - Sign up for a 30-minute session with either Producer Nancy Roberts, Development Manager Carrie Anne Duff, or Content and Communications Manager Rohanne Udall | 7th-9th Dec | In-person/online/over phone | Find out more
- Sussex Dance Network: Next Step - A Producer's Guide to navigating the small print, with Joël Cottrell & guest | 9th Dec | 7-8.30pm | Full details here
- Sussex Dance Network: Professional class - Watch this space for 2022 classes | Mondays | 7-8.30pm
- Independent Dance: Morning Classes - ID’s daily morning class provides a rigorous learning environment to support movement research | Full details here
Auditions & Call outs
- Wired Aerial Theatre: Call out - Wired are recreating a fabulous outdoor rep piece, Straw Dog, which toured across the UK to free festivals in & around 2010 | Deadline: 8th Dec | Full details here
- Sussex Dance Network: Primary School Dance Facilitators - SDN are looking to support two artists into co-teaching after school dance sessions at a local primary school | Deadline: 8th Dec | Full details here
- Richard Chappell Dance: Call out - RCD is seeking exceptional dancers to join the ensemble for projects within the 2022 season | Deadline: 10th Dec | Full details here
- Swindon Dance: Digital Commission - Four dance artists/companies will be commissioned to create a digitalpiece, to be presented as part of the Online Platform | Deadline: 10th December | Full details here
- Norrdans: Call out - The north Swedish touring company is looking for dancers for their 22/23 season | Deadline: 12th Dec | Full details here
- Second Hand Dance: Call out - SHD are looking for new dancers to join the company on their 2022 UK tour of We Touch, We Play, We Dance | Deadline - 13th Dec | Full details here
- Holstebro Dance Company: Call out - Danish company seeks professional dance artists for company contracts for the season of 2022-2023 | Deadline: 9th Jan | Full details here
- Space Clarence Mews: Year of Making 2022 - During the monthly meetings, facilitated by experienced Maker, Mentor and ‘Relational Dynamics 1st’ Coach Caroline Salem, the small cohort of artists will support each other’s process through listening, witnessing, communicating their experience & asking questions. Studio space also included. | Applications open past deadline | Full details here
- London Performance Studios: Seeding Space Open Call - Free space bursaries available to visual & performing artists for various purposes | Deadline: multiple across 2021 & 2022 | Full details here
Sources of funding-Ancillary support-Skills development
- The Royal Theatrical Fund: Fleabag Support Fund - The objective of this fund is to provide a SMALL CRISIS GRANT to those that prove the greatest need | Deadline: 8th Dec | Full details here
- Serendipity & Dance4: The Black British Dance Platform - A collaboration with the ambition to support & nurture dance artists from the African & African Caribbean Diaspora, who are based in England, with a desire to present work internationally | Deadline: 5th Jan | Full details here
- On The Move: Introduction to Touring in the UK - An introducttory guide
- Dance Professionals Fund: Resilience Grants supports those not yet at full earning potential due to COVID-19. These grants are intended primarily, but not exclusively, for: Food and household expenses; Help with your rent or mortgage; Communications, e.g. your personal mobile phone or broadband; Cost of dance classes, including personal rehearsal clothing and shoes | Full details here
- Writing a funding application? Here's a library of successful funding applications compiled by The White Pube!
- Zipcar-Freelancers Make Theatre Work: Theatre freelancers get £50 Driving Credit | Full details here
Health & Wellbeing
- One Dance UK's Healthier Dancer Programme
- ISTD-Terry Hyde: Help4Dancers - a new app which provides users with access to a professional programme including: weekly 'check in' health questionnaires and advice from dance-related psychotherapists and counsellors on many aspects of mental health; exercise and meditation videos; injury prevention and maintenance with leading physiotherapists | Download it here
Career guidance & Mentoring
- Dancer's Career Development: Personal & Career Coaching - DCD is offering free sessions for all professional dancers in until 31st March | Full details here
- Understory: With the final 10 artist chats now up online, Understory comes to an end. Please share far and wide, especially to anyone new to the field or those needing some orientation, informal advice or sense of community
If would like to list anything under any of the above areas OR if there's an area that you feel would contribute to your professional and/or artistic development which you do not see above, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject EARLY CAREERS SUPPORT with your specific need, and we'll try to incorporate it.